CompactPCI COTS power supplies are ruggedized power supplies, designed to work in harsh environment.
More and more military customers are embracing CompactPCI, especially the smaller 3U form-factor.
Along with other embedded COTS technologies, CompactPCI is helping military designers to develop small, mobile, powerful electronic systems for lighter-weight and smaller-sized combat vehicles of various kinds, including ground- and air-based, manned and unmanned.
Traditional aerospace applications have utilized VME in the past, but some have shifted to conduction-cooled 3U or 6U CompactPCI, either for bandwidth or because of the need for Ethernet traffic. Another reason to shift to cPCI may be the need for PICMG 2.16 compliance for packet switching.
Conduction-cooled CompactPCI boards may cost a bit more than air-cooled boards, which are usually deployed in much larger strategic systems such as submarines or large aircraft. But they also make the envelope a good deal smaller, so the whole subsystem can fit into a large number of applications in harsh and severe environments.
Especially in new designs, CompactPCI is winning a place on the bill of materials. Because of the technology available, the level of integration due to newer processors and other devices, and newer entrants such as conduction-cooled switching products, the use of cPCI is rising rapidly.
Key features of Telkoor’s cPCI COTS power supplies:
- Designed to meet MIL-STD-810 – by strengthening the standard model using additional gluing and improved fixing of components. Testing of the units according to customer required amplitudes
- Designed to meet MIL-STD-461 - with external filters
- Conformal coating
- Operational at -20°C to +60°C
- Wide range 400Hz AC input
- Wide range DC input 18 to 72 VDC
- Stainless steel covers
- Applications: military, industrial, railways, etc.